Wednesdays In The Word: Just Keep Singing by Queen Diva

Wednesdays In The Word:
Just Keep Singing... Ezekiel 1:12 And each went straight forward; wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go, without turning as they went.

Last night I performed at a venue in the Bronx to promote my "Strength of a Woman: A Phyllis Hyman Tribute" with a band I never practiced prior to my performance. I did go back and forth with the promoter, the band leader via the promoter for a month prior to last night's performance. But sometimes even when you try to plan ahead life happens. The band leader, who is a bass player, and the keyboardist both had another gig that paid more so they were not in attendance. So the show much go on, right?

And the show did go on but the substitute keyboardist didn't know all of my songs and gave me an excuse that he had the flu and wasn't feeling well. (Rule #1 Any time a musician gives you a sick excuse they do not play well and is forewarning you what is about to happen.) I still pressed on and low and behold the keyboardist froze and totally did not know how to lead the band to transition from song to song. The entire band was looking at the keyboardist to guide them but he froze and looked lost. Needless to say I had to "Just Keep Singing!" I specifically told the keyboardist I am only singing verse and chorus to two songs and the last song I am singing the entire song. Instead of just playing the verse and chorus of each song and transition to the next he just kept playing the songs. I had to "Just Keep Singing" to get to the next song I would start the next song until they came in.

Well, last night was one of my Top Two Most Disastrous Musical experiences of my life. I was told that I sang well and the many audience members as well as the promoter came up to me to console me. But I learn a value lesson to "Just Keep Singing!" No matter what is happening with the band, the background singers, the audience and even my discouraged heart I had to "Just Keep Singing."

                                 Photo by Michael Katlow Cox at Vaughn Harper's First Friday's MIST Harlem 2014

I finished my set, thanked everyone and quickly walked off the stage. What was very interesting was the host of the show asked me to come back to the stage to speak LIFE into me by saying, "If you believe in your heart that you will make it to Broadway then you need to SPEAK LIFE into existence." She pointed to my heart and with a very stern yet loving way spoke to me to reaffirm that I "Just Keep Singing!"

Press on towards the mark! God sees your efforts, trials and tribulations! Every single experience is to make you stronger, wiser, seasoned and experienced! Ezekiel 1:12 And each went straight forward; wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go, without turning as they went.

I learned that it is very important to "Just Keep Singing" and be confident in your gift and performance no matter what happens around me. I had to remain professional and finish no matter what.

Whatever you are going through and disappointments that happen you way..."Just Keep Singing!"

Peace & Blessings,
Queen Diva

Comments

Popular Posts